Slow progress in Blazier case

social media image - tuckahoe yearbook

Ryan Blazier is still awaiting trial for an abundance of charges stemming from his time as a junior high wrestling coach at Bellwood-Antis.

Kami O'Shell, Staff Writer

The former Bellwood-Antis wrestling coach accused of sexual misconduct earlier this year had a hearing scheduled for October 7 that was motioned for continuance until next month. However, there was still a status conference that was held last week.

This is not the first time that the defense attorney for Ryan Blazier has requested an order of continuance. Blazier’s first case has been going on since February of 2020 and his second since June of 2020. COVID-19 has definitely had a major impact on the delay for these cases, and there is hope for them to be wrapped up soon.

Blazier had his hearing scheduled for last Tuesday moved to November 2. What was originally supposed to be a hearing is now a status conference.  This will allow the judge and attorneys to give an update and discuss on how they are progressing with the case thus far. They could also possibly set a date for Blazier’s trial, but that is not always guaranteed in a status conference.

Earlier this year in March Blazier’s name was everywhere, from the television news to the paper on your front porch. The story took the small town of Bellwood by storm after Blazier was accused of sexual assault, misconduct, and harassment of minors while serving as a junior high wrestling coach at B-A. Some of the crimes are alleged to have happened on school property. He was arrested February 23.

Blazier is being charged with two counts of rape of a child, two counts of involved deviate sexual intercourse with a child, aggravated indecent assault, multiple counts of intercourse/sexual contact with a student, multiple counts of indecent assault of a person less than 16 years of age, and several more charges. Blazier has two separate cases. The first one is from the accusations that came up in February of 2020 involving students on the wrestling team. His second case was building up from a CYS tip in December of 2019, but wasn’t filed until June of 2020. His bail for his first case comes to $750,000 and his second $500,000.