Danish crowned 2020 Homecoming Queen

Rorie Wolf

Malia Danish was crowned 2020 Homecoming Queen on Friday at the Bellwood-Antis School District’s special Homecoming ceremony.

Caroline Nagle, Staff Writer

Malia Danish moved to Bellwood but as she moved up the ladder – first at Myers, then the middle school, now the high school – she never imagined she was going to be the Homecoming Queen.

That changed on Friday, when she earned the title of Homecoming Queen with her best friend beside her as runner up, along with support from her family and friends.

I also wouldn’t have gotten this far without my parents who have also support me and made me the person I am today

— Malia Danish

“I could not be more happy that I moved here all those years ago. All the friends I have made here are so amazing and have supported me through so much. I also wouldn’t have gotten this far without my parents who have also supported me and made me the person I am today,” Malia explained.

The annual Homecoming football game was cancelled because of concerns over COVID after a Mount Union students tested positive last week, so the Bellwood-Antis School District held a Homecoming event that also featured salutes to fall sports senior athletes.

The night kicked off at 5:00 with the annual Homecoming parade. The streets of Bellwood were filled with community members cheering on the girls on the court as they arrived to the school.

The main event at the field started at 6:00. The night started with the band playing the national anthem, alma mater, and Sweet Caroline, while the chorus sang, accompanied by all senior fall sport athletes. After that, all senior fall athletes and band and chorus members were recognized. Then the band and cheerleaders performed.

Then, it was the moment everyone was waiting for, the crowning of the Homecoming queen. All high school students voted on Thursday, October 15. The girls also received points for their posters, videos, and spirit week participation. All six girls and their escorts were introduced and lined up on the football field waiting for the moment to find out who had won.

Last year’s runner up, Jamyson Focht, came back to crown the girls. Haley Campbell was announced as runner up and Malia Danish was crowned the 2020 Homecoming Queen.

Other court members included Sicily Yingling, Madalyn McCloskey, Atherton Poorman, and Caitlyn McCartney.

“I’m thankful for this entire experience, and for all the people that supported me,” Campbell said. “Not only was I blessed to share this exciting moment with my older brother, but I was also able to be awarded runner upright alongside my best friend Malia, who I saw nothing short of a queen.”

Homecoming was more special this year than usual because not only  was Bellwood able to have an event despite COVID, but also Malia and Haley have been best friends since Malia moved to Bellwood.

“I’m super happy that both my best friend and I placed for Homecoming,” said Danish. “It’s funny how Haley and I went from screaming the death march down the hall in seventh grade to Homecoming Queen and first runner up. She’s an amazing friend and I couldn’t be more honored to be placed with her.”

Congratulations to Malia and Haley and the rest of the court.