ATHLETE OF THE WEEK: Zach Mallon

Zach Miller

Zach Mallon is approaching 2,000 yards rushing for his career.

Owen Shedlock, Sports Editor

Senior Zach Mallon is a stud running back and defensive back for the Bellwood-Antis football team. With the playoffs starting this week the Blue Devils expect a lot out of Mallon.

The BluePrint has named Zach this week’s Athlete of the Week.

Mallon is going to be a four year letter winner for the Blue Devils and he’s been the starting tailback for two years. 

Last year as a junior Zach rushed for over 1,100 yards with an average of 7.2 yards per carry and 20 total touchdowns. This season through 5 games Mallon has 652 rushing yards and averages a staggering 11.9 yards per carry. Zach is closing in on 2,000 rushing yards in his career.

Zach has also been productive catching the ball out of the backfield. In his career he has 52 receptions for 856 yards and 7 touchdowns.

Mallon plays a big role in the Blue Devil offense, and he’s done a lot in the offseason to prepare for this year.

“During quarantine I lifted six times a week and ran three days a week,” said Mallon. “Then during the summer I continued to lift and run on my own and went to all of the team conditionings.”

Bellwood has earned the No. 1 seed in the district playoffs with their first game Friday night at Memorial Stadium against Bald Eagle Area. The Blue Devils are looking to have a solid playoff run.

“Our goals for the team heading into the playoffs is to play as many games as possible and to win the district championship,” Mallon explained.

Zach is a well rounded athlete; excelling in all three sports he plays. Aside from football, Zach is a starter on the basketball team and he runs track in the spring. 

In basketball Zach has 378 points in his career and averaged 10.7 points per game last season. He’ll play a big part in the Blue Devils’ success this season on the court.

Mallon is also very successful in the classroom. He’s enrolled in all CHS and Honors curriculum. After high school Zach plans to attend a college and major in either biology or pre-medicine. He then plans to attend medical school and become a doctor.

Everyone is excited to see what the Bellwood football team can do this postseason. Good luck to the Blue Devils this week as they take on Bald Eagle.