mini-THON still raising funds in absence of dance event

Caroline Nagle

The Bellwood-Antis mini-THON committee is continuing to raise money, even though they will not have a formal THON event this year.

Caroline Nagle, Social Media Editor

The mini-THON event may not actually be happening this year due to COVID-19; however, committee members are still ensuring that the meaning behind the event lives on in this trying time. 

Last week, committee members along with advisor Mr. Matthew McNaul had a meeting with Bellwood’s mini-THON liaison to discuss ways to continue to raise money for the Four Diamonds foundation. 

We are coming off of a really big year where we raised $43,017 and seeing where we are now is kind of frustrating, but we are doing the best we can with these unprecedented times.

— Mr. McNaul

“Kids still have cancer, so we have to keep raising money in some respect,” Trish Comstock explained. 

This schoolyear, mini-THON has already sponsored a spirit week, peanut butter meltaway fundraiser, and Claysburg pizza fundraiser.

Mr. McNaul shared the amount that Bellwood has already raised with just those three fundraisers. 

“You guys are blowing it out of the water,” Trish said excitedly.

The mini-THON committees have also been throwing around ideas for other fundraisers such as more spirit weeks, pj day Friday’s, basket raffles, t-shirt and sweatshirt sales, a chicken wing sale, and more candy fundraisers. 

“We are also trying to think of some virtual fundraisers to get more community members involved,” chairwoman Kali Lonsinger explained. 

Mr. McNaul expressed the desire for students to continue to raise money on Donor Drive. He also has thrown around the idea of doing teacher challenges to raise money. 

“We are coming off of a really big year where we raised $43,017 and seeing where we are now is kind of frustrating, but we are doing the best we can with these unprecedented times,” Mr. McNaul explained. 

Many people are devastated that the actual event will not be held this year, but it is important to remember that it is all “For The Kids.”