ATHLETE OF THE WEEK: Lexi Lovrich

Lexi Lovrich prepares for a road race last summer. The sophomore is primed for a big season this year on the track.

Owen Shedlock, Sports Editor

Sophomore Lexi Lovrich runs for the Bellwood-Antis girls track team. Last year, her freshman season was canceled due to COVID-19, so this will be her first official year of track.

Practice for spring sports started up this past week and Lexi is excited for the season to start.

Lexi has been named the BluePrint Athlete of the Week.

Last year was filled with many unknowns. In early March, the winter sports season was postponed indefinitely and no one knew what spring sports would look like. The track team was practicing as they normally do, just hoping hoping for a season. On March 13, school was shut down for two weeks and eventually shut down for the year. This put an end to all spring sports and Lexi’s freshman track season was over before it started.

I really enjoy running and I’m very competitive.

— Lexi Lovrich

The loss of Lexi’s freshman year really pushed her to get better.

“It really did motivate me to practice hard and work hard for these next three years,” Lovrich said.

A mid-distance and distance specialist who will run the 1600 and 3200 along with some relays, Lexi has been doing a lot of running in the months leading up to track season.

“I have been building my endurance all winter by running everyday and doing workouts,” Lexi explained. “I really enjoy running and I’m very competitive.”

The girls have a solid team this year and look to have a successful season.

“I want to do the best that I can in my events and help the team,” Lexi said. “Hopefully we all improve as the season goes on and everyone has a good time.”

The track team continues to practice as they get ready for their first meet of the year. Good luck to the boys and girls track team.