Yearbook wins silver medal

Rorie Wolf

Senior editors Lauren Young and Gabriella Finn check out the yearbook. B-A’s yearbook was recognized for its excellence by Jostens, which awarded the book a silver medal.

Jack Luensmann, Staff Writer

The leading producer of yearbooks and student-created content, Jostens, announced last week that out of over 15,000 school yearbooks, Bellwood-Antis’ yearbook program was awarded the Jostens 2021 National Yearbook Program of Excellence (NYPE) award at the SILVER level.

The NYPE recognizes engaging yearbooks that reflect a broad representation of the student body while helping students develop 21st century skills such as communication, collaboration, and information and communication technologies literacy.

The award was presented to the Bellwood-Antis High School yearbook class for achieving defined criteria between one and three of the following categories: creating an inclusive yearbook, generating school engagement, which includes mentioning 84% of the student body at least three times in the yearbook, and successfully managing the yearbook creation process.

Tammy Whitaker, Jostens VP and COO Yearbook Division, says: “Jostens is proud to recognize those individuals who have created an exceptional yearbook for their school and community. These schools did an exceptional job on multiple levels, despite the challenges presented by this school year. Yearbooks are a critical part of capturing  and telling a school’s story, and Jostens is dedicated to supporting yearbook staff members as they do their important work.”

Mrs. Stinson said this was the first time the B-A yearbook was awarded like this, which makes it extra special.

— Gabriella Finn

The B-A award-winning program is led by senior editors Gabriella Finn and Lauren Young, under the direction of Ali Stinson, B-A Tuckahoe Yearbook advisor.

“This year’s B-A Tuckahoe Yearbook titled ‘A Picture is worth 2021 words’ would not have been possible without the hard work of everyone on the yearbook staff,” says advisor Mrs. Allison Stinson. “Editors Gabriella Finn and Lauren Young have been members of yearbook for four years and had a great vision for this year’s book. Despite many annual events being cancelled, the staff was able to come up with great alternatives and showcase so many amazing students, staffulty, and events at BAHS. I am beyond proud of the efforts of each student that contributed to this book and I can’t wait for everyone else to see this amazing product.”

Finn said she is proud of the club’s group effort to achieve the award, which was more important than ever in the pandemic era, when it was hard to say which students would be in school from one day to the next.

“We all worked hard to make sure the yearbook looked good this year, despite the struggle with COVID and people not being here all the time. Mrs. Stinson said this was the first time the B-A yearbook was awarded like this, which makes it extra special,” said Finn.

Young, also a senior editor, is thrilled with winning the award after three years with the group.

“It means a lot to win this award, especially after all the changes that COVID brought this year. Everyone is wearing masks so trying to figure out who’s who was the challenge! All in all, it is very exciting to win this award,” says Young.

Yearbook distribution is set for the week after Memorial Day.