Bellwood-Antis closes due to weather

Kerry Naylor

Bellwoood-Antis students left school early on Wednesday to get ahead of the heavy rains that have come to the area as a result of Hurricane Ida.

Jack Luensmann, Editor in Chief

Along with other local school districts, Bellwood-Antis closed at 10 a.m. Wednesday due to large amounts of rainfall from the remnants of Hurricane Ida.

The district had been monitoring the radar and has come to the conclusion of letting out students and faculty early to get home safely.

Superintendent Dr. Thomas McInroy addressed the school district Tuesday with the following message:

Bellwood-Antis joined a host of area schools with measures in place to address potential flooding hazards. Tyrone Area announced it would also dismiss early at 11:30. Both Altoona and Bishop Guilfoyle were closed on Wednesday, as did Hollidaysburg.

B-A announced it would close at 10 a.m. for the middle and high school, while Myers would release at 10:45.

The district has elected not to use the afternoon as an asynchronous school day.

Hurricane Ida swept over the Gulf Coast last weekend, leaving more than 1 million homes and businesses in Louisiana and Mississippi without electricity after it destroyed the power grid.

The District informed parents via voice message on Tuesday that an early dismissal was possible for today, while also indicating that a delay could be necessary for Thursday. No word has been issued on Thursday to this point.