Baseball team ready to get started

BluePrint Images

B-A baseball starts their season this Friday.

Jack Luensmann, Editor in Chief

After quite possibly one of the most bizarre baseball seasons in 2021 with the Coronavirus and quarantines, the Bellwood baseball squad looks to a more “normal” season in the upcoming weeks.

The Devils ended on a 11-7 overall record last year with a 9-3 record in the ICC. Their season came to a close after a first round district playoff loss to Central. And as with any season in any sport, B-A lost key starters to graduation, including Owen Shedlock, Joe Dorminy, Dylan Barr, Jake Bollinger, and Arik Shildt. The Devils look to rebuild with some new faces from the freshman class and some old from last year’s squad.

Some notable returners from last year are senior Connor Gibbons and junior Nick Kost. Gibbons, one of the team leaders in batting average last year, put up a .356 batting average with 16 hits and 15 runs. Kost put up a .302 batting average with 16 hits and 20 runs for the Devils.

Steve Conlon is returning to coach the Bellwood baseball team for his 20th season, along with Tom Partner, Chris Walker, Nate Plummer, Chris Cacciotti, and Brendan Kowalski.

”I have high hopes for this season,” said junior catcher Andrew Nycum. “My hopes are to win the ICC and make it as far as possible in playoffs.”

The Devils kick off their season Friday at Mount Union to take on the Trojans at 4:30.