Mock Trial wins their first meet

The Mock Trial team’s season is underway, but forfeits by their opponents have kept them out of the court room so far.

Kimberly Bennett, Staff Writer

The Mock Trial meet was set to go up against Richland school district. They won to a forfeit and their next meet is against Central on February 24, 2022.

The participants are Sarah Berkowitz, Wyatt McKendree, Aliany  Lang, Andrew Crocker, Abby Eckenrod, Alexis Shratzmeier, Lauren Rodland, Madison Brinkman, Katherine Bianchini, Trinity Maines, Emily Zacker, and Kaitlyn Norris. The attorney advisor is Anthony Katouff. The college intern is Brendan Andrews and the coach is Mr. Gary Rhone.

Mr. Rhone is a dedicated coach who loves to lead mock trial.

“Like problem solving, it’s like putting together a puzzle. Seeing students change into lawyers and witnesses over the weeks of practice (is rewarding),” he said.

The students really enjoy mock trial and are looking forward to the rest of the season.

“I enjoy really taking on the role of being a lawyer,” said Abi Eckenrod. “The constant support from the team, advisors, and coach really helps you along. That and solving the case. It’s just very enjoyable.”

Mock Trial is a national competition in which students play the role of lawyers and witnesses to argue fictitious cases created by the American Bar Association. Their trials are judged by local judges and attorneys.

B-A’s mock trial team made it to the District championship a year ago.