Myers students observe Read Across America

Jojo Caswell

The second grade team dressed up as Dr. Seuss’s Things for Read Across America Week.

Julius Diossa, Staff Writer

Myers elementary is celebrating a Read Across America Week with a slate of activities.

The week coincides with Doctor Seuss Week, which involves costumes, games and other activities, but most importantly reading books by one of the greatest children’s book writers ever, Dr. Seuss.

Theodor Seuss Geisel wrote over 60 books under the name of Dr. Seuss. The first book he published was And to Think That I saw That On Mulberry Street in 1937; some of his most famous writings include:  The Cat In The Hat, Green Eggs and Ham, The Lorax and many more.

Read Across America, meanwhile, is a yearly activity done by the Bellwood-Antis School District and schools across the country. At B-A it focuses on students from grades K-4, an the kids seem to love it year in and year out.

On Tuesday, students from Bellwood-Antis High School, organized by Mrs. Allison Stinson’s Renaissance Club, travelled to Myers to read from Dr. Seuss books to young students. It was also twinning day, in honor of the Things 1 and 2, two popular Seuss characters. Wednesday was Wacky Wednesday. On Thursday, ninth grade students from Mr. Naylor’s English classes will head to Myers to meet with their reading buddies and read Dr. Seuss.