Girls basketball heads to Final Four

Kyley Longo

The Lady Blue Devils upset District 6 champ Homer Center to advance to the PIAA final 4.

Jack Luensmann, Editor in Chief

The girls basketball team walked into the Central Cambria gymnasium last night coming off a win over West Middlesex in the Sweet Sixteen of the PIAA AA state playoffs. A victory over Homer Center in the Elite Eight would give the ladies their 15th straight state playoff victory and advance them to the Final Four.

B-A outscored the Lady Wildcats in the first two quarters by 12 as they went into the locker room with a score of 33-21. Both teams scored 15 a piece in the third quarter before B-A pulled ahead by 17 early in the fourth quarter. Homer Center rallied back to cut the lead down to 3, but B-A freshman Leigha Clapper had something to say. Clapper tacked on two clutch treys and four clutch free throws in the fourth quarter to boost the Lady Devils during Homer-Center’s scoring tear. Junior Chelsea McCaulsky sealed the victory with four free throws in the final minute.

The Lady Devils prevailed, 68 – 64, thanks to freshman Leigha Clapper, who tacked on 23 points for B-A.

Our business isn’t finished yet.

— Senior Jaidyn McCracken

“It feels amazing,” said Clapper. “I’m so excited for our next game and hopefully one more after that.”

When asked about her key to her success Clapper responded: “The key was being confident and believing that we can win.”

Although Clapper had a standout performance, Lydia Worthing proved herself to be crucial to the team’s success yet again. Worthing had a double-double on the night, accumulating 20 points and 14 rebounds.

Two more ladies were also in double figures with McCaulsky putting up 10 and senior Jaidyn McCracken putting up 11.

“It feels good to make it this far,” said McCracken regarding the victory. “Our balanced scoring is a key factor. When one of us goes down, someone else steps up. We have worked hard for this opportunity and we have proved doubters wrong. Our business isn’t finished yet.”

The ladies’ next game is Friday against Neshannock, which is the top team from the WPIAL. The game will be played at Armstrong High School.