Guiseppe “Joey” Balsamo recognized as Commended Student

Jojo Caswell

Joey Balsalmo was recently recognized by the National Merit Scholarship program.

Olivia Hess, Staff Writer

Giuseppe “Joey” Balsamo has been recognized in the National Merit Scholarship Program as a Commended Student for 2023. 

Of the 50,000 high scoring students who took the PSAT/NMSQT, about two-thirds of them receive a Letter of Commendation from the program. This group of scholars is of the 1.5 million entrants into the program, and Balsamo qualified because of his Selection Index scores, which are cumulative scores from the Reading, Writing and Language, and Math portions of the PSAT/NMSQT. 

Joey was honored and excited when he found out that he was named a Commended Student.

“I had no idea what the award was at first, but when I received it, I felt honored to have received such an award,” he says. 

Regarding his future, it’s looking bright. Joey feels confident that this recognition will help him get into the college that he wants to attend, and that a commendation from the National Merit Scholarship Program will be a nice addition to his transcript. 

Balsamo is thankful for this influential person in his life who has set him on his present path: his mom.

“She has always supported me throughout my life, both with the care and advice that a mother should provide her children, as well as academically, making sure that I always have the resources available to me that I need to be able to succeed,” Balsamo expresses. 

Congratulations Joey, and good luck in your future endeavors!