Golf team wins ICC championship

The Belllwood-Antis golf team scored a three-peat with another win in the ICC championships.

Tighe Eaken Jr., Staff Writer

The Bellwood-Antis golf team won their 3rd ICC championship in a row Monday, proving that they are the most dominant team in the conference.

Ethan Johnston shot an 82 to finish first at the ICC championships. (Courtesy photo)

The team took on McConnellsburg, Curwensville, Everett, Tussey Mountain, and Claysburg-Kimmel at Sinking Valley Country Club.

Junior Ethan Johnston, with a score of 86, was the medalist and best scorer of the day, after last year placing 3rd in the ICC championship. He finished 6 strokes ahead of the nearest competitor. 

Other scorers for B-A include Josh Dorminy (96), Zach Pier (102), and Ryan Marinak (103), for a combined score of 387.

After beating Tyrone earlier in the season to put the team above .500, B-A has worked its way to an astonishing 11-3 record. 

Long time coach Galen Clarr retired as golf coach last year, and Mrs. Kathy Taylor stepped up and filled in that role quite well, winning a championship during her first season as head coach.

“As a first year coach, it is always nice to have a good season, but I was especially happy that the students won the ICC because they have worked hard all season to improve their skills,” Mrs. Taylor said. “We lost a few close matches at the beginning but finished strong.”

The team looks to take on Curwensville and Claysburg-Kimmel to close out the season on Wednesday, September 28th.