Bellwood-Antis glides past Southern Huntingdon

Morgan Kienzle

Griffin Kyle breaks free on a long run.

Caleb Beiswenger, Staff Writer

B-A defeated Southern Huntingdon with ease Friday night in Orbisonia, 44-7.

Coming off a loss to Juniata Valley, the Blue Devils were ready to prove who they were. B-A scored 7 unanswered touchdowns in the rout.

The game started out slow for both teams, but the Blue Devils were able to come up big on defense with a safety to end the first quarter.

After starting out the game 0-8 passing, senior quarterback Gaven Ridgway was able to find sophomore Griffin Kyle down field for a 71 yard passing touchdown. Southern answered right back with a pass from senior quarterback Nate Myers to wide receiver Owen Winter racing down the field for 75 yards to the end zone.

Bellwood was able to end the half driving down the field, finishing off the drive with an 8-yard pass from Ridgway to junior Chance Schreier, putting the Blue Devils up 15-7.

B-A didn’t miss a stride after halftime,  starting out the 3rd quarter with another safety and scoring 2 more touchdowns produced by Nick Kost and Tanner Swogger. Bellwood-Antis was able to hold the Rockets’ offense to negative yards in the 3rd. Quarterback Nate Myers did not make an appearance in the second half, going out at the end of the first half with an injury.

Going into the 4th quarter Bellwood-Antis sealed the  victory with rushing touchdowns from Ridgway and freshman Colin Gibbons.

“Our guys stepped up to the game after a good week of practice. The team played pretty well, especially the defense. Having two safeties in a game is very impressive,” said B-A head Coach Nick Lovrich.

Rockets’ Head Coach Aaron Batzel talked about what his team can improve on going into week 7.

“It’s a long season and our main focus is keeping everyone healthy. Tonight the injury was a big one,” Batzel said. “We need to figure out what will work and what won’t. Overall we played well tonight in the first half but we need to make better adjustments.”