Lady Devils get ready for playoffs

Chloe Hammond and the Lady Blue Devils look beyond the ICC title game loss and towards the District 6 playoffs.

Caleb Beiswenger, Staff Writer

Despite losing in the ICC championship to Williamsburg on Saturday, the Bellwood-Antis girls basketball team is looking past the loss and getting ready for District 6 playoffs.

In some ways, the ICC championship games did not matter for the Lady Devils long-term future since Williamsburg is not in the 2a classification, instead competing in 1A. 

Instead, Bellwood-Antis hosts Bishop McCort on Thursday. Last year Bishop McCort knocked out B-A in the semifinal round of District playoffs. That sent the Lady Devils into the consolation game, and B-A eventually played its way into the state tournament and a sot in the PIAA final four.

B-A will look for a first round win to avenge its loss to the Crushers. Standing first in the District 6 rankings with a record of 19-5, the Lady Devils have the No. 1 seed. Bishop McCort is the 9 seed with a 12-12 record.  

McCort comes into the game with three players averaging over 12 points per game, but only averaging 56 points per game. B-A is averaging 58 points per game and only allowing 34 points per game. B-A has not lost a game when they hold a team to below 49 points.

Senior Lydia Worthing tops the B-A attack at 16.4 points per game. Thousand-point scorer Chelsea McCaulsky is second with 12.8. Worthing is also the tam’s top rebounder with 12 per game, while freshman Lilly Gerwert is grabbing five each time out.

Bellwood-Antis will earn their spot in the state playoffs with a win on Thursday, but their first goal is to win the district championship, something they haven’t been able to do since 2019 when they 2A title over Juniata Valley.