Thad Dick and Hannah Waite take home the mirror ball

Courtesy photo

Thad and Hannah celebrate with their mirrorball trophies.

Olivia Hess, Staff Writer

Last Thursday, Thad Dick and Hannah Waite took home the mirror ball trophy and first place in the Bellwood-Antis Education Foundation-sponsored event, Dancing with the Stars.

The event was held as a fundraiser for the foundation, which supplies grant money to countless BASD teacher-led projects throughout the school year.

Prior to the dance competition, which took place in the B-A auditorium, there was a spaghetti dinner in the high school cafeteria to get the crowd excited for the main event. The show started at 7:00 pm and lasted over two hours.

To kick off the show, students from Mt. Laurel Day Care led the Pledge of Allegiance and the national anthem, followed by an opening number from Centre Dance.

The duos and were judged by three women: Head judge Nicole Swope, the director and owner of Centre Dance, Senator Judy Ward, and boutique-owner Paige Aquadro. The emcee for the evening was Amy Mearkle, the Director of Marketing and Advertising at DelGrosso’s Amusement Park. 

Not only were there competing duos, but also dancers of The Main Street Dance Company showcased several group routines of their own to compete against each other in a separate category.

To determine a winning couple, a combination of judges’ scores and audience donations were taken into account. Every dollar placed into a box created by the dancers counted as one vote towards that duo. 

Thad and Hannah walked away with a fifty-dollar prize, a mirror ball trophy, and the title of first-ever champions of Dancing with the Stars. 

“It was the best thing to experience and I’m so glad I had the opportunity. It was so much fun,” Hannah recalled.

Thad felt the same and said, “I was in it to win it; I left with the gold.”

For a link to an extensive photo slide show of pictures from the event, click here.

Congratulations to Thad and Hannah, and thank you to all who competed!