B-A announces Valedictorian and Salutatorian

Maliah+Hassler+recently+learned+she+has+earned+the+distinction+of+Valedictorian+for+the+Class+of+2023%2C+and+Canyon+Neyman+will+be+Salutatorian.+

Jacob Hawn

Maliah Hassler recently learned she has earned the distinction of Valedictorian for the Class of 2023, and Canyon Neyman will be Salutatorian.

Jacob Mercer, Staff Writer

Bellwood-Antis has announced its 2022-23 valedictorian, Maliah Hassler, and salutatorian, Canyon Nyman.

These two titles are among the highest honors a student can achieve in their high school career. Valedictorian is the academic title conferred upon the highest ranked graduate, typically based upon the highest-grade point average. Salutatorian is the academic title conferred upon the second highest ranking student in the class.

Although it has been a lot of work, Maliah believes that it paid off.

“I sacrificed a lot of my time for school, and it’s just really encouraging to see how far my work ethic got me,” Maliah said.

Maliah’s advice for students who are looking to also become valedictorian is to never give up. She also stressed that one bad grade doesn’t define who you are as a person, so you cannot get discouraged.

Canyon said that this is one of the highest honors he’s ever received.

“I’m glad my hard work has paid off,” he said.

Maliah will be attending Mount Aloysius next fall while Canyon is going to the prestigious MIT,  where he will be in UROP,  an undergraduate research opportunities program.

Commencement will be held May 31 at Memorial Field.