Hunter Shawley becomes a national champion

Photo courtesy of Thaddeus Stevens Athletic Department

Hunter Shawley won a national championship last week in the 400 meter hurdles while competing for Thaddeus Stevens.

Caleb Beiswenger, Staff Writer

Hunter Shawley, former Bellwood-Antis track athlete, recently won the 400m hurdles in the NJCAA Division III championship in Utica, New York.

Hunter is a freshman at Thaddeus Stevens College of Technology. Last weekend he ran the 400 meter hurdles in 55.95 seconds at the championship meet, giving him the gold medal.

Shawley won the race by 0.09 seconds. He then later competed in the 4×400 meter relay where his team finished 6th place overall with a time of 3:26.78. 

Last year Hunter broke the all time record at Bellwood-Antis in the 300m hurdles with a time of 39.85 seconds.

Shawley made it to the state meet in the 110 and 300 hurdles last year. Hunter was also a part of the 4×400 relay team that advanced to the state meet. 

B-A track and field coach Nick Lovrich stated, “Hunter is the first athlete since Brian Leap to make such big headlines nationally. It is amazing to see him become a national champion after such a short time. Hunter was a multi-sport athlete and once he got to the college level and focused on one sport I knew he was going to do big things.”

Leap was the Big 10 triple jump champion in 2016.

Congratulations to Hunter Shawley on being a NJCAA national champion!