ATHLETE OF THE YEAR: Lydia Worthing

Terry McCaulley

Lydia Worthing, shown here with fellow pole vaulter Dylan Andrews, dominated the B-A sports scene during three different seasons. She the BluePrint’s Athlete of the Year.

Tighe Eaken Jr., Sports Writer

Senior Lydia Worthing herself couldn’t have even imagined how big her final year of high school sports would be.

The tri-sport all-star and Bloomsburg commit has reached astonishing accomplishments throughout her high school career, but this year she took things to a whole new level.

I’m very proud of myself for all I’ve been able to accomplish here at Bellwood, and I think I’ve made the most of my time here.

— Lydia Worthing

This led to the BluePrint recognizing Lydia as the Athlete of The Year.

To start the year off, Lydia put together a very solid volleyball season with an impressive team-leading 106 blocks, 111 digs, and 190 kills.

Being ranked #71 in the entire state of Pennsylvania, not only did Lydia have many colleges reaching out to her – ultimately deciding to continue her volleyball career at Bloomsburg – but she earned herself a spot on both the ICC all-star team and the District 6 2A all-star team.

In the winter season, Lydia shined on the varsity basketball team, leading the team in points per game (16.8), rebounds per game (12.4), and blocks per game (1.1).

Lydia now holds the single season rebound and blocked shot record for B-A.

Lydia finished her basketball career with 930 total. She was almost guaranteed to hit that 1,000 point mark, but due to the team only playing 15 games her sophomore season due to Covid, she fell just shy.

“I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t a little disappointed,” said Lydia. “I was so close to hitting the 1,000 point club, which only has 14 girls in it, so it definitely would’ve been special, but I’m still very proud of myself.”

Lydia, however, was able to finish the year being named to the 3rd team 2A Pennsylvania all-state team, ICC all-star team, and the Altoona Mirror all-star team, which landed her a spot to play in the Altoona Mirror Classic game.

Now, with her high school days  coming to an end, Lydia  joins fellow seniors Chelsea McCaulsky (javelin) and Alexis Lovrich (1600m) as one of three Lady Devils advancing to the PIAA track and field championships this weekend. Lydia went undefeated in dual meets and won several invitationals this spring as one of the region’s top pole vaulters. She hit a personal-best 11 feet and placed third in the District 6 2A meet.

Her track coach, Mrs. Jennifer Soisson, praised Lydia for her athleticism and ability to enter in just about any type of event and find success.

“Lydia is one of our most versatile athletes,” she said. “Lydia runs in the 4×100 relay, high jumps, and pole vaults. She will complete an event and then get whisked away to go start another one. She won the ICC Championship in pole vault and with her 4×100 teammates, Briley Campbell, Chloe Hammond, and Brielle Campbell. At Districts last week, she took 3rd in pole vault to send her to states later this week. She’s an incredible all-around athlete and competitor.”

Lydia is no stranger to states for pole vaulting, as she has made it the PIAAs for the third year in a row now. 

“I’m very proud of myself for all I’ve been able to accomplish here at Bellwood, and I think I’ve made the most of my time here,” she explained. “I now can’t wait to see where my next step at Bloomsburg will take me in life.”

Congratulations Lydia, and good luck!