FEATURED ALUMNI: Jamey Rimmey

Courtesy of Jamey Rimmey
Jamey in his Tropic-O-Ice element.

From selling handmade bracelets and necklaces out of his locker in seventh grade to founding and operating one of the most successful start-up businesses in Central Pennsylvania, Jamey Rimmey has always been an entrepreneur at heart.

The 2007 B-A graduate is the owner of Tropic-O-Ice, a shaved ice truck that ventures to sporting events, birthday parties, weddings, and more. 

Before Jamey’s journey on the truck began, he was a busy high school student with plenty of extracurriculars. Jamey was involved in Cross Country, Track and Field, Boy Scouts, Key Club, NHS, French Club, Library Club, and Mock Trial. 

After his days at B-A, Jamey attended Lock Haven University with a major in Accounting and a Minor in Business Administration. Following Lock Haven, he completed graduate school at Keller School of Management, with a focus on Finance. 

Jamey knows that building a business from the ground up is not easy. 

I also really enjoy working with my employees and teaching them things I wish I would have learned from bosses I’ve had in the past.

— Jamey Rimmey

He said, “The most challenging part of starting a business is just starting. A lot of people come up with an idea but are too afraid of the risk involved with going into business and the idea just fizzles out.”

The entrepreneurial career path was always the goal for Jamey, especially after dabbling in financial advising and sales. When he left his desk job, he never looked back.

“I’ve always loved the idea of owning my own business and working for myself,” Jamey said. “Owning a business isn’t for everyone, but I knew it was for me after working in an office for a few weeks.”

Jamey’s love for Tropic-O-Ice and its employees is a crucial factor as to why the company is such a hit. His favorite part of the job is “seeing [his] customers enjoy their shaved ice creations”. When the truck drives by and kids are screaming the company name, it’s always a “wild” experience for Jamey.

He added, “…it’s been an amazing journey. I also really enjoy working with my employees and teaching them things I wish I would have learned from bosses I’ve had in the past.”

Other than just expanding the menu and continuing to give back to the community, Jamey also hopes to open a brick and mortar store in the future. He refers to the mobility of Tropic-O-Ice as a “blessing and a curse” and would like to have a “home base”. 

Jamey credits Bellwood-Antis to be where he learned “the value of work ethic and being kind to others”, which both go a long way in the business world. 

The Tropic-O-Ice truck runs on a variable schedule which can be found on it’s website and social media accounts.

Jamey reminds all readers: “Dude. It’s not a snow cone.”