Mr. Hankey hiding in high school hallways

Abby McGuire
Mr. Hankey has been hiding throughout the high school building in the days leading up to Christmas.

Bellwood-Antis POD teacher Mr. Matthew Elder has taken an interesting Christmas theme and turned it into one of the more popular holiday games in the high school.

On November’s Day of Giving, a group of students decorated Mr. Elder’s door with a South Park theme, including Mr. Hanky, the Christmas Poo. Mr. Elder soon used the Mr. Hanky icon as a new version of the popular Elf on a Shelf.

***

Initially, Mr. Elder was moving Mr. Hankey around his door as a fun little version of “Where’s Waldo”- mainly for his own entertainment. After a few days of it, a group of students suggested Mr. Hankey should start appearing on other teachers’ door- and the idea kind of went from there becoming what it is now. He’s allowed to hide anywhere in the high school.

The BluePrint interviewed both Mr. Elder and Mr. Hanky for this exclusive story.

Mr. Elder’s Interview 

Mr. Hankey has made appearances on several of the teachers’ doors decorated on the day of giving.

What’s the best spot you have hidden Mr. Hankey?

So far, the day he was hidden in the presents at the top of the steps has been the best hiding spot. Hearing that people looked in that area and didn’t see him was funny.

What’s the weirdest/oddest spot you have hidden him?

I’m not sure I’d say I’ve hidden him in “weird” spots, but I do enjoy the aspect of hiding him in plain sight and students not being able to see him. I think that’s my favorite.

What’s your favorite part of hiding him?

I think my favorite part is seeing the enjoyment something so silly can bring. We often get caught up in the monotony of school and take ourselves too seriously. If something so silly, funny, and obnoxious as doing a daily scavenger hunt for a cartoon poo with a Christmas hat can bring some laughs to the hallways, it makes me happy and is totally worth it.

Would you consider doing this again nest year and following years? why? 

Every tradition must start somewhere! Why not!? If it became a yearly tradition and was something students looked forward to, I’d definitely be into it! Honestly, I’d find that hilarious.

Not to be wax poetic, but sometimes I think about what impact I’m leaving on Bellwood. When I retire in a billion years, what impact will I have left behind? How will I have changed Bellwood? If what I leave behind is ridiculous tradition and I’m remembered as the teacher who started the Mr. Hankey tradition or even if just the Mr. Hankey tradition lives on long after I’m forgotten, how cool would that be?

Mr. Hanky’s Interview

Why are you always on the run?

Poo has a long history of spreading bad things… Look at the Roman Empire and all of the diseases I got blamed for spreading! THIS IS MY CHANCE TO DO SOMETHING GOOD! I want to spread as much Christmas cheer as possible!

What’s the longest you’ve gone without anyone finding you? What were you doing while everyone was trying to find you?

The longest I’ve made it has been a whole day! Mr. E even came to check on me a few times to make sure I hadn’t been abducted or flushed away! So many of you were soooo close to me too! It’s a good thing I don’t smell because I was right under your noses!

Do you find entertainment from hiding?

OF COURSE! Watching a bunch of humans looking for poo with a Santa hat on? C’mon! How would that NOT be entertaining!

How do you feel when people find you?

Seeing their smiling faces makes me all warm and fuzzy inside! Or, well, it would, but my insides are just undigested corn. some roast beef, and some other things. At least I’m high in fiber!

How’d you get here from South Park?

Well, some naughty little elves decided to decorate a door with a very non-traditional Christmas theme, so I came along with my friends Kyle, Kenny, and Stan.

Who’s your favorite person that found you so far?

ALL OF THEM ARE MY FAVORITES!?!?!?!