New teacher: Miss Gonsman

So far, Miss Gonsman loves Bellwood! She especially likes how she is making a “not-so-fun” subject, fun and easy. 

A Hard Worker

In Seaford, Delaware, Miss Gonsman taught 9th-grade integrated science, which combines both physical and life sciences. Along with this, she taught biology for grades 10-12. She earned a  very low income at the school she worked in. Many of her students had poor attendance and some were homeless, so they had different priorities. “The students were more focused on eating, who was going to make them dinner, and how they were going to get home.” Some of her students would only speak Spanish, this made communicating a challenge. Miss Gonsman created a Spanish version of every lesson to support her students. To add to this, fewer than half of her students would have a passing grade. Usually having scores in the 60s or 70s.

A New Beginning

Bellwood has been a different experience for Miss Gonsman. She said, “Here at Bellwood, you might have a student or two missing in each class, or overall each day.” The students have more support from home, better attendance, and work hard to find success in school.

World Views

“There is no reason to be mean; everybody’s going through their own things.” and “You never know what someone is going through,” are some messages that Miss. Gonsman would like to share with the world. She hopes everybody will always be nice and respectful to each other. “Keep everybody’s feelings in mind.”