A Bellwood Student Needs Your Support!

Mainstreet Dance Company members dance for a cause.

Devin Poplin, Staff Writer

A Bellwood-Antis student needs your support and you can help my attending Mainstreet Dance Company’s annual showcase!

On February 21 Mainstreet Dance Company from Andrea’s School of Dance will be holding its fifth annual showcase at the BAHS auditorium. The show starts at 7 and the doors will open at 6:30. Tickets cost are five dollars for adults and three dollars for B-A students. Tickets will be available at the door or you can purchase them from your favorite Mainstreet Dance Company member.

Students from Bellwood-Antis Middle and High School will be performing along with students from many other schools. Tap, jazz, lyrical, contemporary, and modern numbers will all be performed at the showcase.

Funds will go to Donovan Miller, an eighth grader that was diagnosed with Myasthenia gravis. The name comes from Greek and Latin words meaning “Grave muscle weakness.” This disease affects all of Donovan’s muscles and the nerves that control them. Donovan has to go to Pittsburgh every two to three weeks for treatment and stay there for around four days each time he goes.

(Middle school dance students) were upset that they could only make it to Donovan’s benefit dance for about an hour because they had rehearsal that night, so I told them we would donate the money to him.

— Andrea McGraw, Mainstreet Dance Company Owner

Over the past few months Bellwood-Antis School District has raised money to help out Donovan and his family through “Dollars for Donovan” and a middle school dance for fifth through eighth grade on Friday, January 9. “Dollars for Donovan” raised one thousand eight hundred and fifty dollars to help with Donovan’s expenses. The middle school dance raised another four hundred and seventy five dollars with additional private donations.

Andrea McGraw, Instructor and owner of Mainstreet Dance Company, said she decided to donate to Donovan and his family when she heard about him from some of her middle school students.

“They were upset that they could only make it to Donovan’s benefit dance for about an hour because they had rehearsal that night, so I told them we would donate the money to him,” said Andrea.

“The support shown from the community and students helps me to stay positive,” said Donovan.

In past years the money has been donated to the Pass It on Fund, created by the Mainstreet Dance Company. The Pass It on Fund was created to provide classes to families that cannot afford to send their child to lessons or for current students that may have had a disruption in their life and cannot continue to dance without the fund.  In 2013 the money was donated to Mr. Richard Bower, Bellwood-Antis’ past music teacher who was battling cancer.