Power of Three: Top 3 Cinderella stories of March Madness

Public domain image
March Madness is all about excitement, brackets, and upsets.

With March Madness coming around the corner, it’s time to make some brackets/predictions. It’s also time to look back at some of the best Cinderella stories in March Madness history.

1. Saint Peters. In 2022, Saint Peters shocked the basketball world by beating a No. 2 seed, No. 3 seed, and a No. 7 seed. Saint Peters started their story by taking out No. 2 seed Kentucky with a score of 85-79. Then they played and beat No. 7 seed Murray State with a score of 70-60. After that they played the No. 3 seed Purdue, and won with a score of 67-64. They sadly lost in the Elite Eight to a highly talented North Carolina team by 20 points (69-49). Apart from being the first No. 15 seed to reach Elite Eight, they had a player that blew up the basketball world with his skills and ability to score all while having a cool mustache (Doug Edert).

2. Loyola-Chicago. In 2018, Loyola-Chicago shocked the basketball world by going to the Final Four as a No. 11 seed. In the first round They beat No. 6 seed Miami by 2 points (64-62). In the second round they played and beat No. 3 seed Tennessee by 1 point (63-62). In the “Sweet 16” they beat No. 7 seed Nevada by a singular point (69-68). In the “Elite Eight” they played No. 9 seed Kansas State and beat them by 16 points (78-62). In the “Final Four” they played and lost against Michigan, and lost 69-57. This team was filled with athleticism and talent which led to amazing and exciting games.

3. Villanova. In 1985, Villanova went crazy and finished with a national title. In the first round Villanova beat Dayton 51-49. In the second round as a No. 8 seed they beat a No. 1 seed Michigan 59-55. Then, in the “Sweet Sixteen”  they beat No. 5 seed Maryland with a score of 46-43. In the “Elite Eight” Villanova played against No. 2 seed North Carolina and won 56-44. In the “Final Four” they played and beat No. 2 seed Memphis State 52-45. In the National Championship Villanova played No. 1 seed Georgetown and won 66-64. One of the reasons this team is remembered so much, is because they are the lowest seed to ever win a National Championship.