Baseball team gets first swings

Annie Legrand
Zach Pier getting ready to crush one

Yesterday, the Blue Devil baseball team lost 13-6 against the Hollidaysburg Golden Tigers in the opening game of the season; however, after the snow, the sun will shine again.

In the early innings, the pitching struggled to get going, and the Tigers started out scoring 7 runs in the first. Vincent Cacciotti started it off for the Blue Devils, and later Zach Gonzalez and Alex McCartney went in to try and clean up the game. Combined the pitchers totaled for 5 strike-outs, 6 hits, 13 walks, and 5 batters hit by pitch.

The Zach’s led the way for the batting. Zach Gonzalez went 1-3 with a double, and Zach Pier nuked a 3-Run Homerun deep into center field in the 4th inning. Before this hit, the Devils were down 2-13, so the energy boost was crucial.

“It felt good to go out there and smack one, and to bring some life back into the team,” said Pier.

The guys blew up with excitement, and it gave them some confidence to get back out there and play hard. In the end, there still were shines of hope from the Devil’s. Just like with every sport, chemistry and perseverance as a team will build throughout the season.

Even though they didn’t win this one, the Blue Devils play Huntington, today at 4:30. With hopes of mauling the Bearcats, the guys are fueled with even more excitement.

“Unfortunately, we’re coming off of a loss, but we’re going to flip that frown upside down. We need to go out there and hit a little better as a team,” said Connor Cobaugh.

The Blue Devils have a chance to right the wrong, and get to go back out there and prove themselves. Wishing the guys the best of luck from everyone here at Bellwood!