Breakfast: the most important meal at BA

Gabe Thompson
B-A students lineup in the media center for breakfast Number 4. Breakfast is the most popular meal in Bellwood.

B-A senior Thad Dick recently set the newest school record of six media center breakfasts while teachers are continuing to show concern.

At Bellwood-Antis, students take breakfast more seriously than any other school activity, so much so that students are allowed to get breakfast up until 11 A.M, and most of the student body shows a level of commitment unlike anything outside of the football program.

According to the US Department of Health, “Breakfast is the most important meal of the day even if you have it more than once,” and the BA Student Body has taken that quote, internalized it, and are now putting it into practice.

The hottest breakfast spot at B-A is none other than the media center. Every period, hundreds of kids go to visit and most of the time, the media center requires a fast restock after hundreds of students by their third, fourth, and fifth sausage and egg sandwiches of the day. It’s like a never ending storm hitting the place daily.

Many teachers report that students visit the media center anywhere from three to four times per day for breakfast, and many students spend more money there than on lunch, church, or assisting the homeless. The B-A student body as a whole consumes more juice than the biggest fruit farm in Pennsylvania can produce.

Kids are spending more time in the media center getting breakfast than they are in the classroom learning, and the test scores reflect it. BA has fallen from one of the leading school districts in test scores to nearly dead last.

“Of course reading is fundamental,” said English teacher Mr. Naylor. “But it’s also fundamentally obvious that kids need their daily allowance of Pop Tarts and Cinnamon Toast Crunch. Who am I to deprive them of that?”

A study conducted by the US Department of Education claims that with the rise in calorie intake, it directly correlates to the dropping of test scores, the diminishing of focus, and the overall weight gain of the school district. Many kids have stopped caring about school and only show up for breakfast.

Mr. Brandon Stewart, one of the beloved teachers at B-A, said this: “My kids don’t care about what’s going on in the classroom anymore and only ever raise their hand to ask to go get breakfast from the Media Center! It’s so frustrating!”

The rates of breakfast consumption are only expected to rise in the coming days as the end of the school year approaches.