Excelsior hosts mock accident at BA

Julia Johnson
Excelsior firefighters work the scene of the mock accident at B-A last Friday.

On Friday April 19, the Bellwood-Antis fire department displayed a mock car accident in the high school parking lot to inform students in grades 10-12 about the dangers of distracted or impaired driving.

Students first gathered in the auditorium to hear Excelsior chief Jack McCloskey, who spoke mostly about the general safety procedures for teens when driving. He addressed not only drinking and driving but also having limited amounts of people in your car if you are driving with a junior license.

After the speech went to the parking lot outside of the auditorium to watch the mock accident. Student Firefighters were staged inside the crashed car as victims.

Senior Ethan Johnston said, “I had the opportunity to see it in 10th grade as well. It is still a great example to see how quickly something like that can happen”

Excelsior firefighters demonstrated using their jaws of life to rescue the victims.

Roughly 3,018 deaths per year happen from teenager car accidents.