Lady Blue Devils prepare to face defending champs in Elite 8

Emily Wagner

B-A will need big plays from its guards against the Rebels in tonight’s PIAA playoff game.

Sapphire McCready, Sports Editor

Tonight the Bellwood-Antis Lady Blue Devils will take on the Seton LaSalle Lady Rebels at Hempfield Area High School.

The girls have been preparing and working hard for this game making sure they are prepared to fight and move on closer to their dream and they have to because they are playing the defending PIAA class AA State Champions.

Defensively Bellwood-Antis has its hands full defending two Division I Scholarship recipients.

“They are going to score, make plays, and play hard, but so will we,” said Ana Hollen. “You play the girl in front of you.”

The Lady Blue Devils average about 70 points per game overall.  Their field goal percentage is 37 % and they get about 34 rebounds per game.

The deadly trio of guards for the Lady Blue Devils seem to have their game on this year.

Sophomore Karson Swogger leads the Lady Blue Devils with an average of 19 points per game and about 5 rebounds per game.

Senior Ana Hollen follows close behind Swogger with an average of 17 points and about 6 rebounds per game.

Hollen said despite playing the defending champs B-A will not back down.

“If you think for one second we are scared, you’re wrong.  We’ll play up to the occasion.  We had a hard time defending a District 6 Championship.  They have the pressure in defending a state championship,” said Hollen.

Senior Kelly Leamer has an average of 13 points per game and about 4 rebounds.

Senior Selena Damiano only averages about 4 points per game, but she gets about 6 rebounds per game. She has to defend Morgan Henderson, a Lady Rebel who is 6-foot-3 in the post, and that changes the Lady Devils’ normal defensive plans.

”Most games other teams have other good guards too,” said Damiano. “In that case I can help off the post on defense. I won’t be able to do that as much tonight.  It will make it tougher on our guards defending their team.”

The winner will either take on the Bishop Canevin Lady Crusaders or the Chartiers-Houston Lady Buccaneers in the semifinals.