Luensmann collects his 100th career hit

Baseball team has a huge 11-0 win over West Branch

Sapphire McCready, Sports Editor

The Bellwood-Antis baseball team continued to roll with a 11-0 road win Wednesday over West Branch, and one player reached a special milestone along the way.

Chad Luesmann allowed just two hits while tossing a shutout as well.  He struck out 12 batters and did not walk anyone.

“I felt like I threw a good game. I went out to dominate and win the ICC North for us yesterday and the warm weather always helps,” said Luensmann.

Along with his perfect pitching Luensmann also got is 100th hit at the game over West Branch last night.

Luensmann was really ecstatic about his 100th career hit.

“It feels awesome. I knew I had to get more hits this year than any years past, so it was going to be a challenge, but I was up for it,” said Luensmann.

The Blue Devil coaches were proud of Chad.

Coach Partner said, “Chad leads by an example: his hard work and dedication to this sport is among the elite, and his senior season has been very productive both at the plate and on the mound.”

Coach Partner also added, “This 100th career hit milestone is quite an accomplishment that very few high school baseball players ever reach.”

Coach Conlon said, “Chad has worked hard for all that he has accomplished.  I am extremely proud of his achievement.  It shows great work ethic and dedication to the sport.”

Luensmann had to work extra hard to live up to the challenge of getting 100 hits.

“I had to work really hard.  It started with being an everyday starter as a freshman because it usually takes four years to get 100, and I’ve continued to get stronger,” said Luensmann.

The Blue Devils had a 5-4 victory over West Branch in a previous meeting.

“It feels good because they almost beat us at home and the fact that they show up like beating us will be a walking in the park.  To beat them like that yesterday felt good,” Chad said.

Neither team scored in the first two innings.  The Blue Devils got three of their eleven runs in the third inning.  They added another in the fourth and had an outstanding seven runs in the fifth inning.

Zach Mock hit a grand slam homerun in the fifth inning and finished with five RBI’s.  He had the only homerun.

Randy Zitterbart hit a triple and Noah Burns hit a double.  Trenton Creppage also hit a double.

The Blue Devils had a total of nine RBI’s: 5 from Mock, 2 from Creppage, and one each from Sawyer Kline and Burns.

“I felt like it was a great team win.  A lot of guys contributed and once we got the momentum and energy, we never let up,” said Chad.

The baseball team’s record is now 14-3.