Soccer and volleyball both suffer losses

Hollen loses in D-6 semifinals

Sydney Patterson

Nick Mallory was one of four B-A senior honored yesterday on Senior Night for the soccer team. The squad lost to Huntingdon 3-1.

Noah D'Angelo, Sports Writer

The Tyrone/Bellwood-Antis boys’ co-op soccer team hosted their annual Senior Night yesterday afternoon. Amado Cardozo, Nic Mallory, Brennan McKendree, and Noah D’Angelo were the seniors for Bellwood-Antis side. Anthony Politza and Eric Hartsock were the seniors on the Tyrone side of the spectrum. The boys received gift bags from their teammates containing candy and gift cards.

Although a highly celebrated night for the soccer team, the end result was not something to be happy about. The boys lost 3-1 to a Huntingdon team that has defeated them five straight times, dating back to last year.

With the score 3-0, the boys kept fighting and senior Amado Cardozo scored a goal with two minutes left to ruin the shutout for Huntingdon.

The boys’ record dropped to even at 6-6. With four games remaining, chances are there for the boys’ to secure a spot in the District 6-AA playoffs.

The Bellwood-Antis girls’ volleyball team lost for a second time in the season to the same West Branch squad last night, which defeated them in straight sets 25-16, 25-16, and 25-8.

Abby Luensman led the Devils with ten digs, eight assists, and three blocks.

The girls’ record fell to 9-2, with their only two losses coming to West Branch.

The District 6-AA tennis tournament took place yesterday at Altoona High School.

Tina Hollen was the only one who competed for the Tyrone/Bellwood-Antis girls tennis team, coming in as the third seed. She won her first two matchups but lost in the semifinals in straight sets to Hannah Swope of Central Cambria.

Congratulations on a great season to Tina and the rest of the tennis girls!