Hayes gets win No. 300

Manning Photography

Coach John Hayes relays a play in with quarterback Jarrett Taneyhill against Everett. Taneyhill was sharp once again as B-A got Coach Hayes career win No. 300.

Christina Kowalski, Sports Writer

Coach John Hayes reached a major milestone in his high school coaching career when the Blue Devils brought home the victory on Friday night.

Brandon Friedenberger gets after the running back in the backfield last Friday at Everett.
Manning Photography

Hayes, who started the season off with 296 wins, was finally able to get his 300th win when the defense held off the Everett Warriors.  The 21-12 win improved Coach Hayes’ overall career record 300-98-2.

Senior Jacob McCaulley said, “Hayes told us that this was our win, but we wanted to win the game for him.”

Coach Hayes was proud of the way his team played and said, “It feels really good to just get a win; it (300) feels no different than any other win. I’m happy for the kids that we were able to hang in there tonight and get a win to keep our season going and moving forward.”

Bellwood-Antis was able to score first for the second week in a row to take an early lead on Everett. Devin Burr scored the touchdown on a 16 yard pass from junior quarterback Jarrett Taneyhill, who completed 13 passes for 140 yards, to take a 6-0 lead with a little under seven minutes left in first quarter. Brendan Kowalski kicked the extra point and increased the Blue Devil lead to seven.

It feels really good to just get a win; it (300) feels no different than any other win.

— Coach John Hayes

Senior Zachary Taylor said, “We started the game off strong on offense.  The line gave Jarrett the time he needed to make passes.”

When Everett got the ball the B-A defense battled to keep them out of the end zone, but in the end it wasn’t enough. The Warriors scored with 38 seconds left in the first quarter when Derek Lasch ran the ball 88 yards for the touchdown. The Warriors’ extra point attempt was no good and kept Bellwood in the lead with a score of 7-6.

Hayes said, “We gave up a couple of big plays (on defense), but other than those big plays I think they played pretty well. Number eight (Lasch) for Everett is a good ball player and he made some things happen, but overall I think the defense played well”

In the second quarter the ball couldn’t find its way out of the center of the field with neither team scoring until the final minute of the first half. The Blue Devils punched through the Warrior defense and scored on a two yard run by senior Jake Burch. Kowalski had the point after to increase the Blue Devils’ lead to eight.

Bellwood-Antis was leading 14-6 at the half.

Both teams came out flat offensively in the third quarter and neither team was able to score.

Football vs. Everett 2
The team rallies around Coach Hayes in the aftermath of a win over Everett. (Manning Photography)

Everett had the ball early in the fourth quarter and capitalized on some Blue Devil mistakes to score their second touchdown. The Warriors scored on a 15 yard pass from Mahlon Akers to Terrell Bowman. The Warriors attempted the two point conversion, but were unable to score after Lasch bobbled the snap.

The Warrior defense was almost able to keep the Blue Devils out of the end zone, with the help of a personal foul call. After being pushed back 15 yards the Blue Devils got the ball back to the one yard line. Once there they handed the ball off to Burch and let him do his thing. Burch scored on a one yard run making this his fourth multiple touchdown game. His touchdown and Kowalski’s extra point made the final score 21-12.

With Friday’s win the Blue Devil football team improved to 4-2 overall and 3-0 in the ICC Gold division.  Their next game is Friday night when they host Southern Huntingdon in a division match-up.