“Homerun Against Drugs” Talks To Second Graders

Mrs. Harpster

Caroline Showalter, Nathan Davis, and Sandi Smith are shown above at the “Homerun Against Drugs” assembly for second graders.

Caroline Showalter, Staff Writer

On October 29, 2015 Myers Elementary School had its annual assembly for second graders called “Home Run Against Drugs.” This assembly consists of Sandi Smith talking to the second graders about many aspects of the drug problem faced  by young people.

She has been doing this for thirteen years and started in 2003.  Sandi talks to second graders because they are impressionable, more likely to participate in the program, and exposed to what is talked about.  Students are constantly involved in the assembly, whether it’s asking or answering questions, and repeating something that was said.

To begin the assembly Sandi asked the students what they wanted to be when they grew up.  Most of the second graders answered that they wanted to be athletes.  Others answered that they wanted to be firefighters, teachers, or doctors.  Then she began to talk about the good and bad habits that are involved with growing up.  The main good habits were exercising, eating right, and being nice to your fellow classmates.  The bad habits were smoking, eating junk food, and not taking care of your body.  Also she discussed the effects of alcohol on your body.

Students were shown many props that were effective.  Sandi showed the students a mouth after the effects of chewing tobacco took place.  They also showed the kids a jar of tar, a giant cigarette, and a fake pickled liver.  These props kept the students interested in the assembly.

Sandi then introduced seniors, Nathan Davis and Caroline Showalter, who spoke about who they are and what they’re goals were.  Then they discussed how they accomplished their goals and what their future plans were.  Students were then allowed to ask the seniors questions.

Then the main event came upon the assembly with the appearance of “Homer,” the mascot for the “Home Run Against Drugs.”  According to Homer, “Be a slugger, hit a home run against drugs.”

He showed the students that we take care of our minds by reading, writing, exercising, and eating right.

Students recevied a book entitled “Homer and Me.”  It’s about the student going to a baseball game with Homer and their three closest friends.

To end the assembly every student was able to hug or high five Homer when leaving and all received a personalized book when going back to their classrooms.