Mrs. Stinson decides to donate

Weekly math project leads to charitable contribution

Nathan Davis

Mrs. Stinson created a unique opportunity to give to charity in her classroom.

Jarrett Taneyhill, Staff Writer

With the holiday season coming up, it is important to remember people in need, especially people in our area.  High school math teacher Mrs. Allison Stinson is doing just that.

We wanted to be able to help someone else that needs some hope this Thanksgiving because my family is so thankful for all we have.

— Mrs. Stinson

“This time of year always makes people pause and give thanks for all they are grateful for.  We wanted to be able to help someone else that needs some hope this Thanksgiving because my family is so thankful for all we have,” said Mrs. Stinson.

Every week, Mrs. Stinson has her students complete a “Problem of the Week”.  The problem is given to students at the beginning of the week and they have until the end of the week to complete it.

Mrs. Stinson teaches about 80 students every day.  She has promised all of her students to donate 50 cents for every problem of the week turned in.  That equates to $40 every week.  She has decided to do this for at least 3 weeks so she is donating at least $120 as long as every student turns in their homework.  She is hopeful that students are more motivated to do their homework now.

“I am hopeful that students realize that the time they spend completing the Problem of the Week is not only helping them but someone else.  Their time is going to make a difference in someone’s life,” she explained.

She has decided to donate her money to the local food bank.  She chose to do this so families in our area that cannot afford a Thanksgiving meal, will now be able to have a meal.

“The local food banks are always in need of donations and can help so many people.  I really hope to be able to supply Thanksgiving dinner food (turkey, mashed potatoes, green beans/corn, stuffing, and pumpkin pies) to a few families in need this holiday season,” she said.

Mrs. Stinson also addressed her future plans for donating too, saying, “I plan to do more in the future.  I feel like helping people is a part of my purpose and I find great joy in doing so I hope I can inspire others to do the same.”