Girls basketball preview

Emily Wagner

Karson Swogger returns as the girls leading scorer.

This Friday kicks off the Bellwood Antis Girls’ basketball season with a date against the Blairsville Bobcats.  The Lady Blue Devils’ are coming off a year when they made it to the state quarterfinals.  But, the girls’ are losing a lot of vital pieces from their District 6 runner-up team.

They’re losing 5 seniors from last year’s team including Ana Hollen, Kelly Leamer, Ana Lynn, Selena Damiano, and Megan Claar. It will be hard to replace all these seniors.  The Lady Blue Devils’ are losing their leading 2nd-4th leading scorers in Ana Hollen, Kelly Leamer, and Ana Lynn, and they’re going to need to find players to match this production.  Sophomore Makayla Carles, who was poised for a big role this season, will also be out this season with a torn ACL.

The girls’ are returning 2 letterman from last year’s team Caroline Showalter, who averaged 2.2 points and 3.1 rebounds per game, and Karson Swogger, who averaged 19.4 points, 3.4 assists, 4.7 rebounds, and 3.7 steals per game.

“I think we’re going to have a good season.  We have a lot of young players that need to fill big positions,” said Senior Caroline Showalter.

We expect to compete for league and district championships and make a run in the state playoffs.

— Karson Swogger

Karson is a 2 year starter and looks to build upon her phenomenal sophomore campaign.  Karson is just four points away from 1,000 points throughout her career.

“We expect to compete for league and district championships and make a run in the state playoffs,” said Junior Karson Swogger about her expectations for this season.

Caroline who played primarily a substitute role last year, will have to expect to play big minutes this year as the Lady Blue Devils look to fill big holes in their starting lineup. Senior Abbey Crider a would-be letterman last year was sadly injured 8 games into the last season and looks to build-on her disappointing injury shortened season.

There also looks to be fresh faces leading the charge this year Freshman Riley D’Angelo is in line to play a big role for the girls.  Riley excelled last year in junior high as her team went on to win the ICC championship.

Sophomore Tina Hollen also looks to be in line to play big minutes this year.  Playing sparingly her freshman year, she will have to step up into a big role right off the bat.

Junior Sophie Damiano has taken a couple years off of basketball, but she might be thrust into a starting role right away.

This year should be another solid year for the girls’ basketball team. They might be inexperienced but they have the talent to make a run at an ICC championship and a District 6 title.