The United States Should Not Be the World’s Policeman

photo by Kerry Naylor

Jules Lusk would like to see the US become less involved in foreign conflicts.

Jules Lusk, Student Contributor

Let’s begin by taking a trip back to 1765: the American Revolution. The idea of the United States of America was only beginning. It was sparked by our forefathers’ dislike for a government thousands of miles away governing their land. This issue, as we all know, led to a war. The citizens living in the United States wanted to overthrow their government.

America has been trying to act as the world’s policeman, but there is one major problem with this: no one appointed it to do so.

Now the roles have been reversed. American is getting involved in foreign affairs that do not directly involve this nation. America has been trying to act as the world’s policeman, but there is one major problem with this: no one appointed it to do so. Even the ‘law of the land’ that came from the American Revolution does not and could not appoint America to act as such.

Aside from the fact that America was not appointed as the world’s police force there are many other reasons as to why it should not act as such. America getting involved in foreign affairs and conflicts that are not necessary to be involved in creates danger for itself. America has received numerous threats and in some circumstances has been attacked. The actions America takes to stop crimes in other countries not only is usually ineffective, but it is counterproductive. In his article, “The U.S. Must Not Be the World’s Policeman,” Sheldon Richman recalls a conflict with Syria. As he put it, “Obama and Kerry have tried hard to invoke “national security” as grounds for bombing Syria, but no one believes Assad threatens Americans. He has made no such statements and taken no threatening actions. He is engulfed in a sectarian civil war. Inexcusably, Obama has taken sides in that civil war—the same side as the Syrian al-Qaeda affiliate—but still Assad poses no danger to Americans. Bombing would make him more—not less—of a threat.” In this case America was trying to end a civil war in Syria with bombs. How could this not pose as a risk for our own land and people?

On that note, it is no secret that America is not perfect. America has a lot of persisting issues such as violent crime and drugs. If we can’t make things perfect at home how are we supposed to go around fixing everyone else’s problems? Like the saying we all know, people in glass houses shouldn’t cast stones.

To conclude, maybe we should listen to our Founding Fathers George Washington and Thomas Jefferson, who warned against foreign affairs. “It is our true policy to steer clear of permanent alliance with any portion of the foreign world,” Washington said in his Farewell Address. The inaugural pledge of Thomas Jefferson was no less clear: “Peace, commerce, and honest friendship with all nations-entangling alliances with none.”