Lady Blue Devils lose in quarterfinals

Worst offensive performance of season ends the year for Lady Devils

Phoebe Potter

Karson Swogger was held 10 points below her average in a loss to Central Cambria.

Blair Poorman, Staff Writer

The Bellwood-Antis girls’ basketball team lost in the District 6-AA quarterfinals in Hollidaysburg Friday night, 48-33, to a strong Central Cambria team, effectively ending the girls’ season.

B-A was led in scoring by Karson Swogger with 18 points, with Riley D’Angelo adding 7 points.

Bellwood-Antis finished 20-5, while Central Cambria improved to 17-7 and advanced to the District 6-AA semifinals against Bishop McCort.

“It was very frustrating because I thought we could win that game, but things just weren’t falling for us,” said senior Caroline Showalter.

Central Cambria played stifling defense all game, forcing Bellwood to a season low of 33 points, with single digit points in the second, third, and fourth quarters, including a low of only three points in fourth quarter.

Swogger’s total was more than 10 below her average.

Bellwood-Antis had an off night offensively all around, converting three of 20 3-point field goals and 11 of 35 on 2-point field goals for a 25 percent rate from the field. The Lady Devils also had 18 total team turnovers.

It was very frustrating because I thought we could win that game.

— Caroline Showalter

With a lot of youth and talent, the Lady Blue Devils will definitely be back with a vengeance next year.

B-A will be led next year by Swogger the program’s all-time leading scorer, as well as returning starters Riley D’Angelo and Sophie Damiano, along with Junior Alanna Leidig and Kara Engle, who provided valuable bench depth this season.

“We will have more experience next year and we will have some incoming freshman that I think will contribute to our success,” said Swogger.

Junior Makayla Carles will also be back next year after sitting out this season with an ACL injury.

Although their season was cut short on Friday, the future looks bright for the Bellwood-Antis girls’ basketball.