Don’t ban dodgeball

Shayla Branstetter, Student Contributor

For years, the old playground game of dodge ball has been taking a hit. Some say it is too violent, but others say it teaches kids important skills, such as teamwork. A student or child who is hit by a ball in the first few seconds spends the remainder of the game sitting out of the game, watching their other teammates. Those who do remain in the game, according to parents, become human targets, which could lead to bullying.

Not many activities give you such a positive outcome.

Although there is a problem with this game, there must be a way to come to an agreement. This agreement varies from banning dodgeball, or keeping dodge ball. School districts in states including Texas, Virginia, Maine, and Massachusetts banned the game years ago. Some schools, however, still keep dodge ball in their physical education class.

In an article called “Dodgeball Has No Place in Our Schools” written by Ken Reed, he simply states, “Dodgeball turns children into human targets, allow for bullying, and is humiliating for some students. Moreover, many students are eliminated from the game early, resulting in limited physical activity during the PE class period.” As many others agree, dodge ball doesn’t always lead to students becoming a human target. Just like any other sport, there is always an official watching over you. When things become too physical there is a penalty for it. For example, in basketball, players receive fouls, and after so many fouls they have to sit out of the game. When dodgeball is played at school your teacher is always watching the game. Therefore if they would see any bullying or violence they would stop the game.

Another article called, “Physical Benefits of Dodgeball,” by Van Thompson shows why dodge ball has a more positive effect, rather than a negative. For example he says, “Players running across a court don’t just run; they also have to dodge balls. This can improve their balance. Successful players don’t slip when they see a ball coming their way, and they learn to maintain an upright posture that reduce their risk of falling.” This gives players abilities to learn unlike any other sport. Also it states, “Dodge ball is a game that teaches teamwork.” Dodge ball is a game that teaches ability and good life skills.

In conclusion dodge ball should not be banned from schools. You have teachers watching over you while you play this game, and it would not become too violent. It gives you many lessons to learn such as teamwork, and physical ability.