BAHS Poetry Slam to be held in May

Emily Wagner

Over 40 students participated in the Poetry Slam last year.

Makala Doyle, Staff Writer

In less than a month, on May 6, Bellwood-Antis High School will be holding its annual Poetry Slam in the high school auditorium.

The Poetry Slam will be held in May
Makala Doyle
The Poetry Slam will be held in May

Every year, students from all throughout the high school write poems and take the stage to share their work with all of their fellow classmates.

In previous years, there have been specific categories for certain types of poems, but this year there will be an overall winner, and winner for duo presentations.

Almost all students can agree that the Poetry Slam is something that is continually looked forward to each year, whether they are excited to present a poem, or just ready to see what kind of original work other students will present.

Mr. Naylor, head of the English department, has taken the responsibility since he came to Bellwood-Antis to put on the Poetry Slam year after year.

“I look forward to the Poetry Slam every year. Diane Hubona brought this to Bellwood-Antis before I started teaching here in 2006, and I have loved it,” said Mr. Naylor. “I feel a great sense of responsibility to uphold what she began.”

Each year, students come up with creative ways to show off their poetic skills, whether it be a witty duo performance, an inspiring poem, or a creative haiku. Throughout the years, many students have remembered poems shared at previous years’ Poetry Slams.

“Every year the kids from Bellwood-Antis show up in a big, big way. They have been extremely creative and passionate about the slam, and it has definitely become an anticipated part of the school year,” added Mr. Naylor.

They [the students] have been extremely creative and passionate about the slam, and it has definitely become an anticipated part of the school year

— Mr. Naylor

Not only are there new slammers at the Poetry Slam each year, but there are also some familiar faces that will be up on stage this year.

Last year’s Poetry Slam Winner Brande Robison will also be presenting another original poem this year.

“I hope to have as much fun presenting this year as I had last year” she said.

Until the Poetry Slam comes around, all the students of Bellwood-Antis will be awaiting the day that they can once again enjoy hearing the creativity of the other students. With a whole new class of freshman, we hope to see a whole new group faces presenting at the slam.

But what about the people who want to share at the slam but are too afraid? How do you get past the initial fear of presenting on stage? Allison McCaulley, a two-time presenter at the Poetry Slam has some advice for new slammers.

“If you’re nervous  to slam, the only advice I can give you is to go for it! Who cares what other people think? Just write and speak from your heart,” she said.

Just write and speak from your heart

— Allison McCaulley

“Over the last three years, I have tried to introduce my students to true slam poetry in my ninth grade class, and that’s a skill in itself. Hopefully we will have some more real slam poems this year,” said Mr. Naylor.

All students are encouraged to write a poem and present at the Poetry Slam. Whether it is a duo or by yourself, there will be no better feeling then showing off your poetic skills to the school.