Bellwood boys set their eyes on playoffs

Baseball team meets after a win over Everett

Blair Poorman, Sports Writer

With playoffs looming, the Bellwood-Antis boys’ baseball team will try and make it back to the district 6 championship game that they lost in last year.

But B-A will not have as easy as a time making it to the finals as they did last year as the 3 seed.

Bellwood, this year, has been selected as the 14 seed, and will have to get past 3 seed Bishop McCort in its first playoff matchup this year.

Anything can happen in this crazy year of AA high school baseball with tons of upsets in the regular season between some of the lower seeds in the field over the higher seeded teams.

“We are taking the game one pitch at a time.  If we can do that, we will give ourselves a chance to win.  All teams are starting with a 0-0 record.  One pitch, one inning, one game at a time.  If we focus on that approach and played sound fundamental baseball, we will give ourselves a good chance of advancing to the next round,” said head coach Steve Conlon.

15 seeded Tyrone had wins over Bald Eagle Area, Philipsburg-Osceola, and Mount Union, all of which are regarded as some of the better teams in the field.

B-A won seven of their last eight games to put them in prime position for playoffs.

The Blue Devils have performed well against some of their playoff counterparts this year with wins over, Everett, Tyrone, and Mount Union.

Bellwood’s overall record against playoff teams is 3-3 with losses against Mount Union, Bald Eagle Area, and Philipsburg-Osceola.

B-A will need strong performances from Sawyer Kline who is batting .385 and Joey Padula who is batting .311 at the plate.

“We got to play hard and play focused for all seven innings, and take the game one pitch at a time to win the game,” said Padula

Senior Cory Parson will start against Bishop McCort on Thursday as he looks to improve to 6-2 on the year, as he owns a 2.48 ERA on the year.