Karson Swogger Commits to SFU

Christina Kowalski

Lady Blue Devil all-time scoring leader Karson Swogger gave a verbal commitment over the summer to play at St. Francis.

Ethan McGee, Staff Writer

Over the summer, senior basketball star Karson Swogger made a verbal commitment to play basketball and continue her education at Saint Francis University in Loretto.

According to Karson, there’s a lot to love about Saint Francis.

“I’ve been there many times over the past couple years and I love everything about it. But if I had one thing I really liked, it’d be that a large part of the population of students are athletes, which means I’ll be surrounded by people who are also trying their best to balance academics and athletics,” Swogger said.

The Karson Swogger era at Bellwood-Antis first began when she stepped on the court as a freshman averaging 15.5 points per game, 2.8 assists per game, and 3 rebounds per game. This was also a District 6-AA championship team with dominant performances from several players, including Ana Hollen, who currently plays for IUP.

I’ll be surrounded by people who are also trying their best to balance academics and athletics.

— Kason Swogger

Going into her sophomore season, the expectations were even higher.  Her performance improved with 19.4 points per game, 3.4 assists per game, and 4.7 rebounds per game. However, the team fell short in overtime against Bishop McCort during its reappearance in the District 6 championship game.

Now, Swogger is coming off a huge junior season, scoring 28.9 points per game and finishing the year with 722 total points. Putting up numbers like that as a junior, you can only imagine the things she will accomplish as a senior.

Records were shattered for the single-game scoring record with 42 points, single season scoring record with 722 points, and the all-time scoring record with a total of 1,718 points.

Coach Jim Swaney feels very blessed to have had the opportunity to coach Karson.

“Karson has been a true pleasure to coach. Her leadership and skill has grown each year,” said Coach Swaney.  “Karson has been one of the most competitive, hard working players I have ever been around.”

BluePrint Sports

After so much success in high school, Karson will be taking her talents to play with the Lady Red Flash, a Division I program in the North Eastern Conference.

The BluePrint asked Karson if it was easy for her to make the decision she did.

“No, it was very difficult.  Most of the schools I visited had a lot to offer both academically and athletically. But in the end it came down to me feeling most comfortable,” said Swogger.

At SFU Karson has goals of obtaining a bachelor’s degree in nursing and then going to graduate school.  She also plans on giving her best efforts to earn playing time as a freshman.

Coach Swaney said choosing the Lady Flash, who finished 14-17 last season, makes a lot of sense for Swogger.

“They fit her needs academically and it is a great fit for basketball.  Karson is very comfortable playing in an up tempo fashion, and St. Francis wants to play that way,” he said.  “Her choice gives everyone in our community four more years to watch an outstanding student athlete compete at the highest level.”

In regards to her final season at B-A, Swogger’s goals have not changed.

“Our plan this year is the same as it’s always been, to win a state title. I feel good as to that we have a team that can do it. The sky’s our limit,” said Swogger.