Lady Devils outrun Panthers

Karson SWwogger scored a game-high 33 and broke her own single-season school scoring record in the Lady Devils’ rout of Northern Bedford in the PIAA playoffs.

Ethan McGee, Sports Editor

One week before Friday’s game against Northern Bedford, the Lady Blue Devils lost a heartbreaker, 60-58, to Bishop McCort in the District 6 2A finals.

An entire week off  left the team hungry, looking to prove they are still an elite team in the state.

In the first round of the PIAA playoffs the Lady Devils annihilated the Northern Bedford, showing no mercy by running the Panthers off the court in an 82-37 onslaught at Tyrone Area High School.

I think it helped us realize that we can play with and beat anyone in 2A.

— Karson Swogger

B-A is now set to square off against Chartiers-Houston, the District 7 winner, Tuesday night at Hempfield Area High School at 6 p.m.

“Friday helped us overcome a tough loss in the district final. I think it helped us realize that we can play with and beat anyone in 2A,” said Karson Swogger on the big margin win.

The first quarter basically sealed the game as B-A got up 34-3 in only the first eight minutes of play.

Swogger was on a mission, racking up 35 points on the game, 20 of those coming in the first quarter.

Swogger also broke her own record of most points in a single season, accounting for 730 points on the year and 2,448 points in her career.

By halftime B-A got up even more, leading 57-15 and putting the mercy rule in effect for the entire second half.

Freshman Alli Campbell had a night herself, chipping in 24 points, and senior Sophie Damiano ripped 10 rebounds.

Damiano enjoyed the win, but knows they have to keep up the same style of play going forward.

“The win was a good feeling, but we know that from here on out the games aren’t going to be easy for us,” said Damiano.

It was a game to remember for B-A. A huge bounce back win gives the Lady Devils confidence heading into the round of 16 this Tuesday.