Fourth graders adopt wolves

Fourth graders at Myers in Mr. Ruda Burns class raised funds to adopt two wolves.

While the 80’s hit by Duran Duran “Hungry Like The Wolf” was a big success, Myers student Ethan Wicks found out that there really are hungry wolves that need help in this world.

Earlier this year, Ethan, a fourth-grader, told his class about a wolf sanctuary and adopting a wolf.

“I was very curious when Ethan asked me,” said fourth grade teacher at Myers, Ms. Ruda Burns. “I didn’t really know what he was talking about.”

“My aunt and I both like wolves, and she told me that she adopted one, so I wanted to too,” said Ethan.

The class thought this was a great idea, so they decided to raise money for a wolf. The sanctuary receiving the funds and housing the wolves is called Wolf Sanctuary of Pennsylvania.

The cost to sponsor a wolf is $45, so when they raised almost $90 they decided the sponsor two wolves. The kids brought in change, made small trinkets to sell, rolled the coins, wrote a letter, and even addressed the envelope.

It was really entirely in their hands with little supervision from myself and my intern, Miss Cessna.

— Mrs. Burns

The sanctuary will be sending the class a certificate and pictures of the wolves.

Mrs. Burns was happy because the project was completely student initiated.

“This was very student driven which was the most exciting part,” said Mrs. Burns.  “A student had the idea, students voted on the idea, they brought in money, made items so sell, rolled the coins, wrote the letter, and addressed the envelope. It was really entirely in their hands with little supervision from myself and my intern, Miss Cessna.”

The class is excited about adopting the wolves.

“It’s just like every charity we do. It makes you feel amazing,” said Derek Stivers.

“It feels good to do something for the animals,” said Mackenzie Weber.

“It feels amazing because you know they have something wrong with them, and we’re helping them,” said Nevaeh Yohn.

“It feels awesome even though they are predators to us, we get to help two hurt animals,” said Zachary Killinger.