SPORTS ROUND-UP: Hollen advances to District finals

Terry McCaulley

Tina Hollen is in the hunt for a District 6 single tennis championship.

Jake Miller, Sports Writer

Bellwood-Antis senior Tina Hollen got three steps closer to a District 6 2A tennis championship yesterday at the Leopold Tennis Courts in Altoona.

Tina won all three of her tournament matches to advance to the singles championship tomorrow against Central Cambria’s Olivia Ratchford.

Tina is seeded No. 1 and Ratchford is 2.

“I’m glad I made it through the day, but ultimately the focus is on tomorrow,” Tina said.

All three of Tina’s matches were straight sets victories. She won a trio of matches against girls from the Laurel Highland’s conference, topping Richland’s Haley Sweeney, Westmont’s Abby Majercsik, and Central Cambria’s Liz Brady.

Now her focus is on Ratchford, and Tina said she needs to play with discipline in order to bring home a singles title.

“I expect consistency from her and for her to be a wall,” said Tina. “I will have to be smart and keep a level head and chose what shots to look for and which shots not to go for. My percentage of error against her will be very small.”

The championship will beheld tomorrow at 3 p.m. at Leopold.

Southern Fulton holds up B-A

The Bellwood-Antis cross country team lost to Southern Fulton yesterday in Warfordsburg.

The girls team fared better than the boys with Jenna Bartlett finishing first overall in the girls heat.

This helps Bartlett as she continues to garner points toward an ICC all-star.

Bartlett was trailed by three Southern Fulton runners and finally by Adisyn Gilbert who finished fifth.

In the boys race, Southern Fulton showed their talent by placing four runners above Robert VanKirk, B-A’s first finisher.

VanKirk was followed by Jake Miller and three other Blue Devil runners but it wasn’t enough as B-A lost the meet 17-38.

This gives the boys their first loss against ICC competition and drops their overall record to 5-2.

Senior leadership helps B-A against Glendale

The Bellwood-Antis Lady Blue Devils volleyball team was able to win in a tight game against Glendale yesterday away from home.

The Lady Blue Devils won in sets 3-2, including taking the first set 26-24, the second set 25-21 and the third in a rout 15-5.

Seniors Kamryn Mercer and Alexis Parson were a big help in the win since they scored 13 and 12 service points respectively in the win.

Sophomores Bella Kies and Sydney Lechner also played a big role in the win with the latter scoring 14 service points and the former adding 33 assists throughout the match.

The Lady Blue Devils will return to play Thursday at home.