Annual Powder Puff game slated for Sunday

Ali Wagner

Caroline Showalter led the seniors onto the field in 2015. The 2017 Powder Puff game takes place this weekend.

Leah Farber, Staff Writer

Girls lined up on opposite sides of each other getting ready to move. High school boys coaching their team and telling them what play to run next.

The crowd cheering. The anticipation building on what will happen next.

This is a Powder Puff game.

The annual Bellwood-Antis Powderpuff game is on Sunday, October 29.

It’s a game of flag football between girls from junior and senior classes sponsored by the Key Club, which is advised by Charlie Burch.  The proceeds from attendance and for registration will go toward the Pennsylvania Special Olympics (SOPA), a non-profit organization that funds training and competition for those with mental disabilities.

SOPA’s goal is to help mentally disabled people live a healthier life via fitness and fun competition.

“I have been involved with the Polar Plunge & PA Special Olympics for the last three  years,”” said Mr. Burch. “The Powder Puff game is a good way to raise money for the cause, and it creates some good-natured school spirit and rivalry between the juniors and seniors.”

“In year’s past admission was free,” said senior Key Club member and Powder Puff lineman Sidney Patterson. “This year we definitely wanted to charge admission to benefit Special Olympics.”

The Powder Puff game is a good way to raise money for the cause, and it creates some good-natured school spirit and rivalry between the juniors and seniors.

— Mr. Burch

Sidney said she thinks the seniors have the edge this year because of their experience after losing last year.

“I learned from it,” she said.  “I learned I need to come out and be more aggressive.”

Senior Kaitlyn Farber is excited to play in the game.

“I am excited and I really love playing football and Powder Puff and it’s tons of fun.”