BOXES WANTED!

FCA cereal numbers down; group looks for big push to hit its numbers

Julie Bauer, Staff Writer

It’s now or never if you want to support the Fellowship of Christian Athletes’ annual Cereal Drive.

The goal is to collect 1,300 cereal boxes, which would be 100 more than 2017.

As of now, the elementary school has collected 213 boxes, the middle school has collected 161 boxes, and the high school has collected 121 boxes. That’s a total of 495 boxes, leaving 805 boxes between FCA and its goal.

Any cereal boxes collected will be donated to the St. Vincent DePaul Food Pantry in Altoona. Bellwood-Antis has been a big source of donations in the past.

FCA adviser Mr. Nick Lovrich said he hasn’t given up hope yet on topping last year’s numbers.

“As Yogi Berra once said ‘It ain’t over till it’s over;’ that is how I feel about the cereal drive,” he said.  “I was doing some research and saw going into the final week last year we had 581 boxes collected.  In that last week we collected almost 700 boxes so anything is possible.”

As Yogi Berra once said ‘It ain’t over till it’s over.’

— Mr. Lovrich

In the high school, Mr. Naylor’s homeroom is in the lead with 29 boxes. Ms. Flarend’s homeroom is in second with 24 boxes. Mr. Burch’s homeroom is in third with 15 boxes. Mr. McNaul’s and Ms. Clippard’s homerooms have collected 13 and 10 boxes, respectively.

All other homerooms are in the single digits.

The District’s record was set in 2015, with a total of 1,700 boxes.

“Hopefully in these last couple days we can, to stay with the baseball theme, put our rally caps on have a big last couple innings to beat our totals from last year,” Mr. Lovrich said.