4 BA students qualify for national speech contest

Caroline Nagle

Zach Amato, Haley Campbell, and Daman Mills recently competed in the National Catholic Forensic League’s regional speech contest.

Jake Bollinger, Editor In Chief

Four students qualified for the National Catholic Forensic League’s national contest, led by senior Haley Campbell, who took home the title as regional champion in the humorous interpretation category.

I’m extremely honored to receive such a title, especially being that this is my third year doing so.

— Haley Campbell

This is Haley’s third time winning regionals, and third time qualifying for nationals.

The piece won on was “Ten Reasons You Should Have Stayed Home Sick Today,” by E.M. Bell. The regional competition was  asynchronous, with each participant filming their speech, and then sending it in to be judged.

“I was surprised when I received the news that I got first. The regional competition was asynchronous, so I was not expecting to do well, being I’d rather perform live. I’m extremely honored to receive such a title, especially being that this is my third year doing so, and I did not last year. I’m also excited that I can compete in nationals my senior year,” says Haley.

Mrs. Padula said it was nice to see Haley’s dedication to the program pay off.

“Haley works extremely hard to perfect her piece,” said Mrs. Padula. “I’m so excited to see how she does at the national level!”

Emma Corrodo, Zach Amato, and Daman Mills all placed third in their respective categories.

Emma has also qualified all 3 years she has been competing. Emma competes in the extemporaneous speacking category which requires her to choose a current event topic. She then has 30 minutes to research and write a 5-7 minuste speech on the topic. “Emma is wonderful at thinking on her feet,” said Padula. “Daman Mills qualified in the dramatic interpretation category. This is a memorized piece of 10 minutes. His piece is about a code between brothers that turns tragic. Daman has spent many hours to improve his performance. This is the first year that Zach has qualified for the national meet. He competes in commentary speaking, which is like giving a public service announcement. He has to choose a topic and has 30 minutes to research and write a 5-7 minute speech.”

The tournament will be completely virtual over Memorial Day weekend.

Emma and Daman also qualified for the state speech meet, which will be held this weekend. Haley qualified, as well, but is unable to attend.