Five singers qualified for District Chorus

Kerry Naylor

Students qualifying for PMEA District Chorus include (l to r) Avery Turek, Jayce Miller, Sarah Berkowitz, and Dallas Smithmyer. Missing from the photo was Daman Mills.

Hayliana Shumac, Staff Writer

Five Bellwood-Antis singers learned on Tuesday they qualified for PMEA District chorus.

The students selected are: Dallas Smithmyer, Tenor 1; Damon Mills, Bass 1; Avery Turek, Soprano 1; Sarah Berkowitz, Soprano 2; Jayce Miller Alto 2.

The student had to submit a video of them singing for additions. This has been the second year that had to do online submission because of COVID.

In all  Bellwood-Antis was a 5 for 5.

District chorus will take place this year at Northern Bedford High School.

Both Berkowitz and Mills qualified for Districts a year ago, while Smithmyer and Miller made it n 2019.

All of the students are excited to be going, especially the seniors, most of whom did not audition last year because the event was held online and not in person.

“It’s good to be back” Dallas said. “I regret not doing it last year.”

Miller made it all the way to regionals as a sophomore before pulling out of the competition, partly because of nerves. She said that this year she would be pushing forward as long as possible.

Berkowitz is happy to qualify for a second year. She said it was valuable experience for her future career as a music educator.

“It will be exciting singing in person, both socially as well as musically,” she said.