Law class holds mock trials
Priced out of playing

Priced out of playing

April 26, 2024

BAHS teachers get their classrooms back

BAHS teachers get their classrooms back

April 26, 2024

Student teacher support program launches in Pennsylvania

April 26, 2024

BA sophomore wins award for his book

Photo courtesy of Mr. Tim VanScoyoc
Kevin Stiver, center, was honored recently by the Heritage Hall of Fame for his book on Glen White, Pa.

Kevin Stiver, a sophomore at Bellwood-Antis, recently won an award for his book: Glen White, PA: The Town that was Forgotten in the Allegheny Mountains.

The award was sponsored by the 2023 Heritage Hall of Fame Program, and Stiver won in the category of Young Preservationist of Blair County History.

Stiver’s book and presentation on the topic of it during the 2023 BCHS Monthly Lecture Series aided to his win, along with his moderation of the Facebook group, “Altoona Pennsylvania History.” The group has over 6,000 followers.

Stiver said he was shocked when he learned he would be given the award and did not think he would end up where he is now.

“It was history that was going to be lost if someone didn’t do it,” he said when asked why he wrote his book.

It’s a big accomplishment for Stiver, and he is now writing a book on Baker’s Mines as a follow up for his book on Glen White.

Glen White is a little known area above the Horseshoe Curve in Altoona that was a mining town in the early 20th Century. Stiver’s book on the town was published in April and it had sold several hundred copies.

Great job Kevin!