Bellwood-Antis and Bishop Guilfoyle raise money for Melody Plummer

Sideline+Cancers+Cathy+Griffith+was+on+hand+at+Homecoming+to+show+support+for+Bellwood+resident+Melody+Plummer.+Both+Melodys+husband+Jeff+and+grandson+Chase+were+also+there+at+halftime+when+Sideline+Cancer+presented+her+with+a+check+for+more+than+%245%2C000.+
Morgan Kienzle
Sideline Cancer’s Cathy Griffith was on hand at Homecoming to show support for Bellwood resident Melody Plummer. Both Melody’s husband Jeff and grandson Chase were also there at halftime when Sideline Cancer presented her with a check for more than $5,000.

This year for Homecoming, the members of the Bellwood-Antis Homecoming court raised money for Melody Plummer, a member of the B-A community battling colon cancer. Olivia Hess, Miranda Tornatore, Chloe Brown, Shawna Lovrich, and Kate Heisler helped generate $5,420 for Sideline Cancer to help with Mrs. Plummer’s expenses.

Our community is truly an amazing place to live.

— Mrs. Stinson

It was the largest Sideline Cancer event to date, selling over 1,000 shirts to break the previous record of 806. The girls on the Homecoming court sold almost 400 shirts on their own. B-A’s opponent that night, Bishop Guilfoyle, also raised money for the cause.

“I could not be more grateful for the opportunity to be involved with Sideline Cancer and these events. Each year,” said Homecoming organizer Mrs. Allison Stinson. “Our event has grown and it’s magnitude is something that is truly unmatched in many other communities.”

For the past 3 years, B-A has held a Sideline Cancer event at a Bellwood sporting event. Each year, the school has chosen someone in the local community battling cancer to for a donation. This year, Mrs. Stinson had several students and faculty member approach her on the same day in regards to Melody Plummer being this year’s recipient. Mrs. Stinson contacted the family to make sure that they approved of the event.

“As you can tell from the amount of shirts sold and money raised, our community is truly an amazing place to live,” Mrs. Stinson said.

View Comments (1)