High school placed under soft lockdown last week
J Squared podcast episode 7: Mr. Martin

J Squared podcast episode 7: Mr. Martin

May 3, 2024

Shura family selling shirts to fight against cancer

May 3, 2024

J Squared podcast episode 5: Mrs. Flarend

May 3, 2024

BluePrint students compete in PSPA contest

Ethan Johnston. Jordan Hescox, Zach Pier, Chloe Brown, Olivia Hess, Morgan Kienzle, and Abi Eckenrod represented the BluePrint at the PSPA news writing contest at Juniata College.

Writing competition season officially began last Wednesday when seven BluePrint Writers went to Juniata College to compete in the Pennsylvania Student Press Association (PSPA) student journalism regional contest.

The students who competed in the contest were, Olivia Hess, Jordan Hescox, Zach Pier, Ethan Johnston, Abi Eckenrod, Chloe Brown, and Morgan Kienzle.

“I knew what to expect and felt prepared, since I had the opportunity to go last year,” said Olivia Hess, who won the regional contest last year in the category of news writing.

The writers also got to hear from guest speakers about their passion for journalism, their success with it, and their accomplishments.

The categories BluePrint writers competed in were news writing, feature writing, sports writing, photography, and blogs.

“It challenges our writers to be fundamentally sound on a tight deadline. We also had students competing in new divisions this year, like photography, so we’re excited to see how we did,” said BluePrint advisor Mr. Kerry Naylor.

Contestants wrote their stories from 9:55-10:55, had a break and snack from 11:00-11:15, and went to breakout sessions from 11:15-12:00.

This years winners will be announced within the next several months. Judges have until January to render their decisions.